The Rover 90 and Rover 105 were replaced by the more powerful Rover 100 announced on 24 October 1959. Its new but similar 2.6 litre straight-6 engine was a short-stroke version of the P5 3-Litre unit. According to Rover the 100 could reach 100 mph. The interior was luxurious, with wood and leather accents on traditional English car elements like a curved "Shepherds Crook" handbrake lever.
Production ended in 1962, by which time 16,521 had been produced.